Skip to Main Content

Art in Watzek Library: Building and Entryway

A guide to visual art in Watzek Library

Lelooska (Don Smith), Owl, northern entrance of Watzek Library

Concrete cast of an owl carving

Lelooska (1933-1996), Kwakwaka’wakw (Kwakiutl Northwest Coast)

Outside northern entrance


The owl was first located outside the original entrance to the library, on the west side of the building, as can be seen in historic photos.

 

Blanket presented to Lewis & Clark College by Affiliated Tribes of Northwest Indians, entryway

Blanket

Presented to Lewis & Clark College by the Affiliated Tribes of Northwest Indians at their annual meeting in September, 2006, in appreciation for the college's ongoing efforts to build relationships with member tribes.

Dedicated at Watzek Library on November 2, 2007


Lelooska, carved monster, entryway

Sisiutl

Lelooska (1933-1996), Kwakwaka’wakw (Kwakiutl Northwest Coast)

Southern Kwakwaka'wakw (Kwakiutl) Style

1985

Gift, Lelooska Foundation, Ariel, WA
 


Gate, designed by Ken Klos, 2nd floor

Gate

Designed by Ken Klos

1994



Sun window, 3rd floor

Western window

1967

 

Located on third floor


Eastern window, 3rd floor

Eastern window

1967

 

Located on third floor


Carvings on western exterior of building

Carvings on exterior western side of building

1967


Photograph of application, 1967

 


Wall carving, 2nd floor

Wall carving

1967


This decoration was originally on an exterior wall of the library building before the atrium was enclosed in a renovation, as can be seen in a construction photograph from 1966.