Skip to Main Content

Art in Watzek Library: Building and Entryway

A guide to visual art in Watzek Library

Details may be incomplete for some artworks. We appreciate hearing from anyone with information about a piece of art on this guide! Please write to

Please note that not all artworks are represented in their entirety in these reference photos.

Lelooska (Don Smith), Owl, northern entrance of Watzek Library

The Owl

Lelooska (1933-1996), Kwakwaka’wakw (Kwakiutl Northwest Coast)

Carved by Lelooska and cast in concrete for the Watzek Library; the original carving is lost. Reinstalled as a gift of Patti and Stephen Beckham and Elizabeth Johnson in memory of the artist and Mark E. Beckham.

The owl was first located outside the original entrance to the library, on the west side of the building, as historic photos show.

Blanket presented to Lewis & Clark College by Affiliated Tribes of Northwest Indians, entryway


Presented to Lewis & Clark College by the Affiliated Tribes of Northwest Indians at their annual meeting in September, 2006, in appreciation for the college's ongoing efforts to build relationships with member tribes.

Dedicated at Watzek Library on November 2, 2007


Located in entryway


Lelooska, carved monster, entryway


Lelooska (1933-1996), Kwakwaka’wakw (Kwakiutl Northwest Coast)

Southern Kwakwaka'wakw (Kwakiutl) Style


Gift, Lelooska Foundation, Ariel, WA

Located in entryway


Gate, designed by Ken Klos, 2nd floor


Designed by Ken Klos



Located on second floor



Sun window, 3rd floor

Western window

Stained glass by Anderson of Anderson Art Studio, Hillsboro, OR



Located on third floor


Eastern window, 3rd floor

Eastern window

Stained glass by Anderson of Anderson Art Studio, Hillsboro, OR



Located on third floor


Carvings on western exterior of building

Carvings on exterior western side of building


Photograph of application, 1967



Wall carving, 2nd floor

Wall carving


Currently on the second floor, this decoration was originally on an exterior wall of the library building before the atrium was enclosed in a renovation, as can be seen in a construction photograph from 1966.