James J. Kopp First-year Research Awards
The James J. Kopp First-year Research Awards were established in 2011 by the Aubrey R. Watzek Library in memory of Jim, who was the director of the Library from 1999 until his death in 2010. Awards of $200 are given to two Exploration & Discovery students whose work best demonstrates excellent research techniques.
James J. Kopp
As the director of the library, Jim provided leadership during a decade of unprecedented growth and change.
Jim was a kind and humorous man with a passion for scholarly inquiry and a dedication to the library´s role in the liberal arts education. In fact, in his six years as an instructor in the Core program (2000-2007), he introduced many new college students to the liberal arts tradition, and mentored them as they embarked upon paths of intellectual inquiry.
Isaac Goldstein "The Eagleton Affair: The Brief Vice Presidential Campaign of Thomas Eagleton" and his research summary
Emma Post "The Creation of a Coloured Identity in South Africa" and her research summary
Stanley Fonseca "Ludwig van Beethoven and John Coltrane: Making Sense of Jazz After the 60's" (Honorable Mention) and his research summary
Devin Owen "A Physicalist Account of Identity Through Time and Change" and his research summary
How to Apply
- Review this year's requirements.
- Write a one-page summary of your research process focusing on the steps you took, obstacles you overcame, and how you found and evaluated your sources. You can view winning examples under the Recent Winners category above.
- If you want your professor to write a Statement of Support for your application, you should ask if he or she is willing. If so, let the professor know that the library will notify them by May 27 of your completed application status, at which point they will be invited to fill out on online survey in support of your application.
- Finish the application online here.
Important Dates 2014
- Applications accepted - April 15 to May 23
- Faculty receive link to online survey if their student(s) applied and requested a Statement of Support --May 27
- Faculty Statement of Support Survey Deadline - June 15
- Winners Notified - July 1
- Awards Reception - 2014-15 academic year TBD
Dan Kelley, Faculty Outreach Librarian
If you are interested in contributing to the James J. Kopp First-year Research Awards, you can do so through the Library's Online Giving Form.
Please select "James J. Kopp First Year Research Awards" as the beneficiary under Donation Information. Thank you very much for your gift.