Research Guide: English Literature
Databases for English
- MLA Bibliography
- Literature, language, linguistics, folklore. (more info)
- Literature Resource Center
- Critical analyses, biographies and bibliographies of literary authors. (more info)
- Year's Work in English Studies
- YWES surveys the current scholarship in the field of English Literature.
- Granger's World of Poetry
- Locate a poem in an anthology published after 1981; search by title, first or last line, author or subject. (more info)
- Literature Criticism Online (a Public Library database)
- Contains series such as: Contemporary Literary Criticism, Twentieth-Century Literary Criticism, Nineteenth-Century Literature Criticism, Shakespeare Criticism, Literature Criticism 1400-1800, Classical and Medieval Literature Criticism, Poetry Criticism, Short Story Criticism, Drama Criticism, and Children’s Literature Review. (more info)
- Uses readers' favorite author, title, plot or series name to suggest the next book to read. (more info)
Databases with English Literature Content
- Academic OneFile
- Peer-reviewed, full-text articles from leading journals and reference sources. Extensive coverage of the physical sciences, technology, medicine, social sciences, the arts, theology, literature and other subjects. (more info)
- Academic Search Premier
- Academic Search Premier is a comprehensive, scholarly, and multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 12,000 full-text periodicals, including more than 4,700 peer-reviewed journals. (more info)
- ARTFL Project
- nearly 3,000 texts, ranging from classic works of French literature to various kinds of non-fiction prose and technical writing. (more info)
- Cambridge Histories Online
- Instant access to the renowned texts of the Cambridge Histories series. Covers economic, political, literary, social history as well as the arts and philosophy. (more info)
- Dissertations & Theses
- Link to abstracts or citations to dissertations and theses from around the world, from 1861 to the present day. Also includes full text of dissertations and theses produced by graduate students at Lewis & Clark. (more info)
- Essay and General Literature Index
- Indexes essays in books and anthologies. (more info)
- International Medieval Bibliography
- An interdisciplinary bibliography of the European Middle Ages, covering Europe, the Middle East and North Africa in the period 300-1500 A.D. (more info)
- ITER: Gateway to the Middle Ages and Renaissance
- A citation database for journal articles and books pertaining to the Middle Ages and Renaissance (400-1700). Citations for reviews of books, review articles, collections of essays, and many other types of resources are included. Updated daily. ITER also provides access to other databases, such as the Early Theatre database and the Medici Archive Project. (more info)
- Use the advanced search function to search within a specific discipline. (more info)
- Project Muse
- A unique collaboration between libraries and the world's leading university presses and scholarly societies, providing 100% full-text, online access to over 400 titles from prestigious humanities and social sciences journals and nearly 100 not-for-profit publishers. Browse by discipline and select folklore under social sciences (more info)
- Theatre in Video
- Streaming video of 250 performances of leading plays. (more info)
Ebook Collections for English
- Early English Books Online - EEBO
- EEBO contains digital facsimile page images of virtually every work printed in England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and British North America and works in English printed elsewhere from 1473-1700 (more info)
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online -ECCO
- ECCO delivers the full-text and page images of every significant English-language and foreign-language title printed in Great Britain during the eighteenth century, along with thousands of important works from the Americas. (more info)
- Nineteenth Century Collections Online (NCCO)
- 19th Century Collections Online is a multi-year global digitization and publishing program focusing on archival collections of primary sources providing full-text, fully searchable content. The collection includes monographs, newspapers, pamphlets, manuscripts, ephemera, maps, statistics, and more in both Western and non-Western languages. (more info)
Research Guides for specific classes
Encyclopedias and dictionaries
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Provides authoritative definitions and traces the usage of words from their first recorded occurrence to the modern period. (more info)
- Oxford Reference Online
- Electronic version of Oxford reference across a broad range of topics. Full-text. (more info)
- Dictionary of literary terms and literary theory
- The most international and inclusive of single volume dictionaries of literary terminology.
- Concise Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms
- Containing over 1,000 of the most troublesome literary terms encountered by students and general readers, this book gives clear and often witty explanations to terms such as hypertext, multi-accentuality, and postmodernism.
Guides to Research in Literature
- Humanities : a selective guide to information sources
- This great introduction to the research process in the humanities has an excellent chapter on literary information sources.
- Literary research guide : an annotated listing of reference sources in English literary studies
- A standard source for graduate students in English, this source is a selective, well-annotated guide to conducting research in literature. (more info)
- Reference guide for English studies
- Another important guide to research in literature.
Specific Authors and Genres
- William Blake Archive
- An exhaustive and scholarly site about William Blake and his works.
- Dickinson Electronic Archives
- Devoted to the study of Emily Dickinson, her writing practices, writings directly influencing her work, and critical and creative writings generated by her work. The DEA is produced by the Dickinson Editing Collective, with an executive editor, a general editor, two associate editors, a project manager, and a technical editor working collaboratively with one another and with numerous coeditors, staff, and users.
- Romantic Circles
- An excellent site devoted to the study of Romantic-period literature and culture.
- Literary Gothic
- The Literary Gothic is a Web guide to all things concerned with literary Gothicism, which includes ghost stories, "classic" Gothic novels and Gothic fiction (1764-1820), and related pre- and post-Gothic and supernaturalist literature written prior to the mid-20th century.