Research Guide: Gender Studies
Research Guides for Specific Courses
Current Course Reserves
Reserves lists for Gender Studies classes
- Encyclopedia of Sex and Gender
- Addresses issues of sex and gender at the personal and the social level; examines issues of identity, status, class, ethnicity, race, and nation; of sexuality and the body; of social institutions and the structures of representation. Topics include changing conceptions of "the feminine," the family and masculinity, religion, morality, cultural images, medical practice, public health, economy and society and many more.
Gender Studies Databases
- Gender Studies Database
- Combines NISC's Women's Studies International and Men's Studies databases with the coverage of sexual diversity issues. (more info)
- Gerritsen Collection - -Women's History Online, 1543-1945
- Multi-disciplinary cross-cultural resource for women's history spanning 4 centuries and 15 languages. (more info)
- LGBT Life with Full Text
- LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) journals, magazines, regional newspapers and full text monographs. (more info)
Gender Studies-Related Databases
- Online access to about thirty American Anthropological Association (AAA) journals. (more info)
- SocINDEX with full text
- Sociology and anthropology research database with over 2000 journals. (more info)
- Social Sciences Citation Index
- A part of the Web of Science database, the SSCI tracks 'who's citing whom' in the social sciences. Coverage is 1980-present. (more info)
- Sociological Abstracts
- One of the most important indexes to the literature of sociology, cultural anthropology and related disciplines. Indexes 1800+ journals and other literature. (more info)
Gender Web Resources
- Collective Biographies of Women
- Collective Biographies of Women is a project of Alison Booth, Professor, Department of English of the University of Virginia and Associate Fellow, Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities. It is part of NINES, a consortium of digital scholarship in nineteenth-century studies. (more info)
- Subject Listing of Women and Gender Resources
- Maintained by the Women's Studies Librarian's Office of the University of Wisconsin System.
- WHO-The Department of Gender, Women and Health (GWH)
- GWH brings attention to the ways in which biological and social differences between women and men affect health and the steps needed to achieve health equity.
- WSS LINKS: Women and Gender Studies Web Links
- WSSLINKS is developed and maintained by the Women's Studies Section of the Association of College & Research Libraries. The purpose of WSSLINKS is to provide access to a wide range of resources in support of Women's Studies.
Archives and Collections
- ACT UP Oral History Project
- A collection of interviews of the men and women who have made up ACT UP New York. Transcripts of interviews are available for free download, and streaming video excerpts are provided.
- ONE national gay & lesbian archives
- The One National Gay & Lesbian Archives is an archive of written, photographic, and other information on LGBT people which has been accumulated since the creation in Post-World War II 1940s Los Angeles and New York of ONE magazine; which was one of the first periodicals catering to the early development of a political consciousness in the Lesbian and Gay community in the United States.
- GenderStats is an electronic database of gender statistics and indicators from the World Bank Group. Data sources for GenderStats include national statistics, United Nations databases, and World Bank-conducted or funded surveys.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States
- Contains a collection of statistics on social and economic conditions in the United States. Selected international data are also included.
- Statistical Datasets
- Over 590 licensed and public domain datasets from over 50 sources, within a single interface. (more info)
- Statistical Insight (formerly LexisNexis Statistical)
- Includes statistics produced by the U.S. government, major international and intergovernmental organizations, and other sources. (more info)
- U.S. Bureau of Census. Age and Sex Data
- Data related to the age and sex composition of the population of the United States.
- U.S. Department of Labor: Women's Bureau
- Data from the DOL on topics concerning women, including advancement, wages and working conditions.
- Academic Search Complete
- Academic Search Complete is a comprehensive, scholarly, and multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals. (more info)
- Academic OneFile
- Peer-reviewed, full-text articles from leading journals and reference sources. Extensive coverage of the physical sciences, technology, medicine, social sciences, the arts, theology, literature and other subjects. (more info)
- Use the advanced search function to search within the folklore discipline. (more info)
- LexisNexis Academic
- Full text of national, regional, and international newspapers, business, and legal sources and more. (more info)
- Project Muse
- A unique collaboration between libraries and the world's leading university presses and scholarly societies, providing 100% full-text, online access to over 400 titles from prestigious humanities and social sciences journals and nearly 100 not-for-profit publishers. Browse by discipline and select folklore under social sciences (more info)
L&C Gender Studies Dept. sites
- College of Arts and Sciences, Lewis & Clark College, Department of Gender Studies
- Official site of the LC Department of Gender Studies