SAC Meeting Minutes
April 10, 2007
In attendance: Brandon Kimura, Adam Kowalski, Andrew Shaw-Kitch, Jim Kopp, Elaine Hirsch (recorder), Jeremy McWilliams, Rick Peterson
Unable to attend: Sage Coe Smith
- Jim reported on the library's recently received 07-08 operating budget, which includes an increase in funds for library acquisitions. He also touched on student recruitment for the committee, better access to student theses, and completion of the Murdock information literacy grant-funded activities.
- Jeremy led a discussion on the new online student theses up-loader, which will begin operation this semester.
- Rick announced there will be scanners placed in the copier room alcoves, as an alternative to photocopying. Adam suggested the scanners include automatic document feeders.
- Rick also announced that Interlibrary loan will be implementing a system to immediately notify patrons when requested materials are available in Watzek or Summit.
- Rick reported on the planned shift of the library collection during Summer 08. Discussion from the last meeting on the organization of the library's journal collection by title or call number continued.
- Elaine asked about student preference on summer staffing of the reference desk. Having a person at the desk was deemed helpful, but that the person need not be a librarian if one could be paged for research questions.
- Elaine thanked Brandon for his three years of service on the committee. Ideas for future committee recruitment included advertising in the library, asking academic departments to email their students, and recruiting circulation student workers. It was agreed that a graduate student would be good addition to the committee, although a challenge due to student time constraints.
- The committee adjourned until the next academic year.