SAC Meeting Minutes
February 13, 2007
In attendance: Sage Coe Smith, Brandon Kimura, Mark Dahl, Elaine Hirsch (recorder), Jeremy McWilliams, Rick Peterson
Unable to attend: Adam Kowalski, Andrew Shaw-Kitch, Jim Kopp
- Mark Dahl, the library's Asst. Director for Systems and Access Services, was introduced and represented library administration in place of Jim.
- In Rick's Access Services report, he discussed the Reserves Direct system, circulation student retraining, and the upcoming plan to rearrange the library's collections. He asked if there was a preference for arranging the journals in alphabetical order by title or by call number. Pros and cons of both organizational systems were discussed with no preference determined.
- Elaine described the reference librarians' involvement in the national Reference Effort and Assessment Data (READ) study.
- Jeremy explained the concept of federated searching and is leading a committee investigating potential products for use at Watzek. He also demonstrated the new features on the New Additions page.
- Sage mentioned the difficulty in determining where particular call numbers are located in the library. The idea of including a library map with the appropriate location on the item's catalog record was met with enthusiasm.
- Mark reported on the critical issues being addressed by the public services' staff as part of the library's strategic planning, the search for a new collection development and acquisitions librarian, the faculty information literacy stipend program, and various digital sources and services.
- Brandon revisited the issue of group vs. private study spaces. Access Services' staff will explore ways to address this issue in the short term.